Saturday 15 February 2020

Setting the alarm for 5.45am is never good. Especially when it’s for a Saturday morning.  When I hear the alarm go off I’m like a ninja hitting the snooze button with rapid speed so I don’t wake up the boys. As with any alarm I always hit snooze. I don’t understand people who can just jump straight up out of bed full of the joys. Once I’ve hit the snooze button I have 10 minutes to decide if I’m going to snuggle back down and sod the walking off or get myself up and get out.  Nine times out of ten I get up. I always prepared my walking kit, bum bag and drink etc the night before which makes it easier in the morning and means I’m not being loud while everyone sleeps.  Stepping outside it’s quiet and pitch black and I use my head torch until I’m down on the prom. Once I’ve dodged the dog poops getting out of Onchan and I’m on my way along the promenade, I am always so glad I got myself up and out. I actually love being out at that time of the morning. I walk much better first thing than when I go out after a day at work and sorting the kids out, but I still find it difficult getting up. Maybe I am a morning person I’m just not a getting up person?  Before I know it I am warmed up and the miles are clocking up. When it starts getting light it feels good to know I’ve done a good few miles while everyone else is still fast asleep.  At the moment I’m doing 11 miles finishing at the NSC in time to meet the boys there for my eldest swimming lesson at 8.30am.  Although I love watching him swim, sitting in the heat of the viewing gallery after my walk is hell!  Whilst I feel great after the fresh air and the miles,  I sit there with a bright red head melting and possibly smelling a tad (soz to the rest of the parents).  This is, for me, the best time for training with a young family. Getting a long walk in before they are up, then leaves me with  the rest of the weekend to spend with them.  As the lighter mornings come I know it will be easier and I look forwards to swapping my head torch for sunnies. 

I also walk to work 3 days a week. It’s only 2 miles but it all adds up to my weekly miles. I try to get another couple of walks in during the evenings and if I have time I will try and do a lunch time walk in my dinner hour. Some times this may only be 3 or 4 miles but again, it all adds up.  The days I do school drop off and pick up for Fynn, we walk up with Leo in the pram. It’s not far, but again it all helps (also pushing the little chunk in the pram is great resistance training).  

On my longer walks I have been taking out food with me so I get back into the habit of eating on the go. Taking on food is not something I really struggle with to be honest, although later on in the PW  it’s not as easy to get food down. It seems to go round and round in your mouth for ages. I eat as much as I can early on, little and often. That’s when you need your support car to be on the ball, they need to be on at you to keep your levels topped up as it’s not always something you’ll think of. On training walks I’m not taking full on packed lunches out, just maybe a flapjack/bar or a jam butty. I also have a drink with me, I tend to use a powder mix which contains calories and electrolytes which is then mixed with water. 

While out walking I never listen to music/podcasts etc.  I use to do all my training listening to music and became reliant on it, especially on longer distances. But once I started training for last years PW I stopped.  You are not allowed to have earphones in during the event so I needed to start getting use to walking without the tunes to get me through.  Although I don’t actually mind walking without a soundtrack, the miles definitely pass by quicker when I am walking with friends.

Other than walking I do Pilates. I started just before last years PW In the hopes it would help me with my walking and recovery while training and I saw such a difference. I go to Physio Led Pilates with Susie (other Pilates classes are available although other Susie’s are not ;) ) and I was able to pick up some great exercises to strengthen weak areas. I have bands and balls and rollers now at home and if I can’t get out for a walk, I can do the Pilates exercises at home watching Corrie and not feel to guilty about it.

I’ve been sticking with the winter walking league, and although I missed the last one, they have been great at keeping up with the training and have really pushed me to go faster. I find I can be a bit lazy when walking on my own. I get in a little bubble at a comfortable pace and don’t always push myself. 

At the moment my main focus is on the Fireman’s walk in April.  As I’ve talked about in my last blog, this is a great walk to use as training for the parish.  Great for testing out kit and food intake.

Thanks for reading, if there is anything you want to ask me, please feel free to message and I’ll try and help.

Happy walking

L x

No comments:

Post a Comment