Wednesday 17 February 2021

Are you even a Parish walker if...

... you didn’t spend all day on 20th June 2020 looking at your watch and saying “ahh I’d be just through Santon about now” and “should be on my way through Peel about now” and “ooo it’s getting a bit dark now, head torch would be coming out” and so on.

2020 was an odd and difficult year and although 2021 has started off on a bit of a back foot, we seem to be going in the right direction again now. It’s ace how well the island pulls together to get back on track. 

After spending the autumn and winter months keeping up with training and taking part in the winter walking league, I was keen to see if my efforts had helped me improve. The Fireman’s walk in April was the perfect course, at just over 30 miles and on a relatively flat route, I could test out my hopefully improved speed and endurance.  But, it was not to be and it was understandably called off.  

Over the next few weeks I carried on with my training in the hopes the PW may still go ahead.  Once we went into lockdown though training became difficult. I’d got myself into a good routine with walking. I was finding that getting a couple of my shorter walks in early morn before work was great as it was then done for the day and didn’t impact on family/work life.  Lighter mornings were much welcomed as was the warmer weather.  I hate setting off in cold/windy weather as I never seem to get the layering right. I’m always too hot once I get going if I layer up too much.  Once the weather turns and I can just put on a vest I’m much more comfortable and walk easier.  So, once lockdown hit training kind of slid.  Especially at the beginning when it was 1 hour of exercise a day.  The kids didn’t fancy trying to get a quick 5miles in, fair enough I suppose.  I did print out some sit up and squat challenges though and had my Pilates kit at the ready. I don’t think the print outs got another look at and the Pilates didn’t fair much better either.  Once restrictions eased, training picked back up again and I was glad to be getting out of the house.  Working from home had it’s upsides.  It was great being with the boys all day and we did do some great things and went to some pretty cool places .  But it also had its downsides, being with the boys all day!  Being back out walking on my own in my own head space is one of the best things.  I hadn’t realised how important it was for me until I’d stopped.  

So 20th June came and with the PW cancelled, I decided I would go out for a longish walk and make the most of the lovely sunshine. It wasn’t the 85 miles I had planned on taking on, but I still enjoyed them and came home to my very own feeding station set up by the boys (although the kids were trying to charge me which isn’t quite the same set up as the official PW feeding stations!) Later that evening sat on the sofa with a large glass of wine and a load of snacks to ease the blues, I could hear the rain bouncing off the windows, next year seemed like a good enough plan.  I’ve always been very lucky with weather so far on any long events I’ve done. I’ve not had to battle with wind or rain yet and I’m hoping that 2021 will be no different. 

With everything going well on the island and no sight of another lockdown, I decided I would enter the End to End walk scheduled for September.  I have done this walk twice before and after the last time back in 2014, I said never again!  It’s such a tough walk.  It’s a bit of a slog getting to the Point of Ayer early morn to start the race and for me I find that I’m going the wrong way as it follows part of the PW route but backwards. But having had the other 2 big events cancelled I really wanted to get out and do something.  I was really looking forward to the walk and had some rough times set out.  I wanted to finish in under 8 hours so had that in my mind but I suffered with foot and leg cramp from about 8 miles in which was annoying. I felt I was just getting into my stride and settling into a good pace when it hit.   I ditched any kind of time plan early on and just focused on getting to Peel and then getting to the Sound and the finish line. It’s not something I’ve suffered with before and I had all the usual drinks and salt sticks in my kit but nothing was working.  The only thing I can put it down to is the day before I was rushing about with the kids to swimming lessons, athletics competition, a party, back to athletics, home, bath and bed for them then packing the car for the walk and by the time I’d sat down I hadn’t really eaten or drank all day.  This meant the next day I was going into the walk dehydrated and was on the back foot from the start.  The day before PW I’m in work so have my water bottle to hand all day and loads of food and snacks.  The second half of the walk was easier for me. It was the half I was dreading more to begin with as there are some steep hills going through Glen Maye and the Round Table but I actually enjoyed the change. Going down The Sloc also wasn’t as tough on my knees and feet as I was expecting. However, going up The Howe and down through Cregneash was a killer. The last 2 miles seemed to go on and on and on. I remember telling Mark never, ever, ever again climbing your there haha. But, I still managed to get in under the 8 hours and finished with a smile.  It was a tough and challenging walk but I was able to take a lot from it.  

So here we all are again, getting ready for this years event. I’m looking forward to swapping the head torch back to sunnies and increasing some of my longer walks in the coming months. 

Thanks for reading and if there is anything you want me to write about or have any questions on, please just give me a shout. 

Happy walking.

L x

No comments:

Post a Comment